Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dry-Erase Family Calendar

Hello.

My name is Rhonda.

I am a calendar whore.

There, I said it.  Whew... do I feel better now!

It's true.  If ever there was a calendar/planner/organizer, I've more than likely owned it or come pretty near to owning it.  I am constantly on a quest to find the most perfect means of keeping track of the events and to-do's in my life.  Lined, not lined.  Monthly, weekly, daily.  Pocket size, purse size.  You get the picture.

This obsession doesn't end there.  I have also tried several options for keeping a family calendar.  Typically, this has lived on my laundry room door, which is basically the last stop before leaving the house.  In hindsight... probably not the best place for little reminders, since usually we're struggling to get the kids out the door and to school on time, arms full of bags and lunchboxes etc.  In other words, that calendar is the last thing we'll pay attention to on any given day.

Soooo... what to do?  How would I ever keep up with the family schedule and all of the little things I needed to remember for the week?  Well, I saw this great dry erase calendar on brown paper packages by Stephanie of Somewhat Simple.  I had just the place for one of these on my kitchen counter, which is the center of our busy mornings - what better place for little reminders for the week?  An evening alone in the craft room and I now have one of my very own!


I'd like to say I thrifted and found a perfect picture frame for $1.00 or something cool like that, but let's face it.  I'm far too impatient for that!  I did take advantage of the 50% off frames at Hobby Lobby and was able to find this perfectly sanded off-white frame.  I also found a great scrapbooking paper that was pale blue with white dots to insert as a background.

I don't have a cool vinyl cutter like all of you other Silhouetters (no matter how many giveaways I enter *sigh*), so I decided to use some rub-on scrapbooking letters instead.  I found these at Hobby Lobby as well, and most of them on clearance.  Woot!  I thought it fitting that I found a sheet with sewing-related borders: stitching, zig-zag, rick rack, and scallops.  Cute, right?


I tried to fit all seven days of the week in one row but realized it didn't leave me much room to write, so instead I put Monday through Friday up top, with Saturday and Sunday beneath.


I left a larger note section at the bottom for those all-important reminders, you know the ones.  Bring Ritz Crackers, eggs, and a basket to school.  Hopefully with this new little system, we won't be making a mad dash to the convenience store on the way to school, praying they have a box of Ritz somewhere on their shelves!

The little flower and birdie decals are also rub-ons, believe it or not!  I have quite a few of these left over that I can't wait to find a use for... pretty little packaging perhaps? 


Thanks to Stephanie for the inspiration - with any luck, this beauty will keep us on track, in style!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love it! I think I have that exact same frame from hobby lobby in my bedroom! :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails