Sunday, March 4, 2012

Curio Transformation

While Mr. home.made. took advantage of the warm weather and did yard work yesterday, I set out to finish my curio cabinet project (between laundry and cleaning, of course…).  I’m happy to say it’s finally finished!

As I mentioned in my progress post, I painted this piece with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey, using a watered down second coat to leave a smooth finish.  I then waxed with AS soft clear wax and buffed with a cotton cloth for a soft sheen. 


I replaced the original glass panels with chicken wire for a couple of reasons.  First, the glass was from the forties and was a major safety hazard because it was not safety glass.  (Proof in point – Mr. home.made. suffered a gash to his hand after moving those panels this weekend.  Ouch.)  Second, some of the panels didn’t survive our two moves last year.  So rather than get six custom glass panels made, I went farmhouse chic with a little poultry caging material.

I measured the panels and cut with wire snips, then secured to the inside of the curio with upholstery staples.  Lots of upholstery staples.

Several scratches and a few curse words later, all of the wire panels were installed!  I did keep the original glass shelves because they were in great condition and weren’t as sharp on the edges.


The original hardware was a dark gold/brass finish so I added some antique silver Rub n Buff and then added more patina with some burnt umber antiquing medium.  I think I may still try and get it a little darker, but I’m living with it for now.



The real showpiece here anyway, is this: my vintage Rose Point china, inherited from my great aunt and uncle.  I think it’s probably the most beautiful thing in my home, and one with a great deal of sentimental value.  And yes, I do use it.  Beautiful and functional, two qualities every item in your home should possess, right?



I’m quite happy with the way this piece turned out – the grey color perfectly complements the ivory china, and it’s really lightened and brightened a piece that felt dark and heavy and a little too serious.

The best part?  It’s still my grandmother’s curio.  Controversial as painting wood furniture may be… it doesn’t change the story of the piece.  It simply adds in another chapter: mine.

Hope you’re having a fantastic Monday!  Are you painting anything today?

Linking up here:

30 comments:

  1. Your curio is so charming! I love the chicken wire! Fabulous makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS!!! I love, love, LOVE it!! The color is beautiful & the chicken wire is FANTASTIC!!! Great makeover girl!! Sharing this on my Facebook page!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just did a little paint project and was about to go nuts; yours is great/beautiful!! Enjoy your special china. Here from Under the Table, right next to you! Hope you visit back. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you say painting it adds another chapter to the story of the piece. What a beautiful sentiment! I've gone through the same thing with some of my grandmother's old furniture. I realized it was better to make it my own than to have something with sentimental value just sitting in the garage. It looks gorgeous and I love the chicken wire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your curio cabinet looks great! I just re-did the one I had. You were brave to add chicken wire. That was my original plan but decided against it because of it being hard to work with without getting all scratched up. After seeing yours, it may be worth it!!!! Thanks for sharing, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous...absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Great idea with the chicken wire! It looks so much more *modern*!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Popped over from the shabby creek and I love your blog! I like the color you chose for this furniture piece...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way it "updated" the piece! Great job! - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks beautiful! i love paris gray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is gorgeous! I pinned it right away! Smart move on getting rid of the glass, as I am in love with the chicken wire! Visiting from Savvy Southern Style!

    Gabby
    The...Late, Young Family

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colors you chose are so pretty and soothing. Very nice job - I really like the chicken wire so much better than a traditional curio cabinet!! I would love for you to stop by my Creative Inspirations party to link up your project! I would love to have you there! The party is happening NOW!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous piece & I love the color you went with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the chicken wire! Definitely a clever way to solve a problem.
    2027

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE Paris Grey! I like your addition of chicken wire. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this, Rhonda! It has been featured over at The Shabby Creek Cottage on Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the chicken wire... such a lovely, modern yet chic farm house look! So crafty of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so excited to see your beautiful curio cabinet redo. I have a curio cabinet very similar to this that I have been planning to paint also (trying to decide on my color). I too have been debating about putting in chicken wire so I was so happy to see yours done that way. I am also trying to decide, if I want to make it really country, if I should take out the mirror in the back and having the back be beadboard. Can't decide on the beadboard. Anyway, your curio came out terrific, I really love it, and it was helpful for me to see.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chicken wire is the coolest. This piece is beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing transformation!

    Today is the last day to enter the giveaway I am hosting for a $50 Kirklands gift card. Pop on by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing - please come back this week to link up again!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful!!!

    Shannon @SewSweetCottage

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a brilliant transformation! You've been featured in my Saturday 7 Spotlight this week! :) http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2012/03/saturday-seven-spotlight_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stopping over after your feature at Tatertots & Jello to see your project and also to pin it. I just saw a curio like that at an auction and thought, I couldn't make it look good. Now I think I can just like you did.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Rhonda...your curio cabinet is beyond fabulous. You did an amazing job. Love how you used the chicken wire. I haven't tried AS chalk paint yet but I'm sure thinking about it. You've about made me a believer. Congratulations. You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous! I love the chicken wire, and although you may have to dust china, it lends to its new chapter in life! I agree, sometimes...it just needs to be painted! Way to go!
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want this! Ugh... I wish I was crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just wanted to let you know that I'm featuring your curio tomorrow on my painted projects round-up, with a link back of course. (If you would rather not be featured, no biggie. Just let me know.) It's gorgeous!!!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails