Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Dream Deferred

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun? 
Or fester like a sore—
And then run? 
Does it stink like rotten meat? 
Or crust and sugar over— 
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags 
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
—Langston Hughes (1902-1967)


I have always loved this poem by Langston Hughes.  In so few words, he eloquently describes the dynamic process that our dreams, hopes, desires can go through before they either die away or are brought to fruition.  This poem echoes both despair and hope; it's painfully beautiful.


We can all relate to this because, at some point in our lives, there is a dream that we have to place on the back burner, either temporarily or permanently for one reason or another.  Some of these dreams disappear into the timeline of our lives, but others remain a constant presence, just waiting to be brought back to life.

I have gone through different phases of basically the same dream for several years now - the dream to have a creative business that I enjoy and that blesses others in addition to my family.  Since I work full-time and have a busy family life with a husband who works long hours, weekends, and holidays... this dream goes on and off the proverbial back burner all the time.  Lately though, it's been tugging more and more at my heartstrings, especially since I long to be able to have a business that allows me to work more from home and less behind a desk, that gives me the freedom to pick up my girls from school and volunteer at my church and be able to make the field trips and special lunches.  I have nothing against those of you moms that stay at home, but unless you've had to work outside the home after having your children, you simply can't understand how difficult it is to miss out on events and to spend evenings rushing through dinner and homework and baths.

So, here goes nothing.  I listed some custom signs in my Etsy shop tonight as I am daring to dream right now, in the present, rather than deferring it yet again.  I'm ready for this dream to explode, not dry up like a raisin in the sun...




2 comments:

  1. I have to tell you, it's so nice to hear someone else say "unless you've had to work outside the home after having your children, you simply can't understand how difficult it is". Thanks for being honest with that.

    Best of luck to you! I still have a piece of furniture for you to look at possibly repairing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray that you are able to realize your dream, Rhonda! I am in awe of you moms who are able to do all that you do! I have only worked part-time {off and on, mostly off} since I became a mom, and I am easily overwhelmed at all that I have to accomplish in the time that I am not at work. So I can only imagine how difficult it is for you and other moms in your place.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails