Wednesday, July 17, 2013

White and Aqua Hutch Makeover

White and Aqua Hutch Makeover
 
Last summer I came across a great china hutch on Craigslist while I was searching for a dresser for my daughter’s room.  (Isn’t that always what happens on Craigslist?  It’s worse than Target!)  Anyhoo… because I had quite a few other works in progress at the time, this hutch sat in my garage ever since, waiting to be given a new life.
Because my future plans for my kitchen include painting a darker wall color, I knew I wanted this piece to be white so it would pop against the color of the wall.  This color is Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White.
 
White Hutch Detail
 
I painted two coats of the Old White and then topped with a third, watered-down wash of Old White to help give the paint a smooth finish.  I decided to forgo distressing and just left it all white, then waxed with AS clear wax.
 
Aqua Hutch Styling
 
Rather than paint the interior white as well, I went with an aqua wash – this color was created by mixing AS Provence with a little bit of Old White, and then mixed that with an equal part of water.  I simply put it all in a mason jar and shook it up, then painted the interior, trying not to be too precise since I wanted it to look like a wash of color.
 
White and Aqua French Hutch
 
I love the seeing my white dishes against a sea of aqua.
 
Hutch Styling White Dishes
 
I’m still tweaking the hutch styling, but for now it includes some of my vintage Rose Point china, a few collected pieces of Ironstone, vintage Pyrex, and some vintage dishes and pottery that I inherited from my grandmother.  I look forward to changing things up on the inside for holiday and seasonal touches.
 
Pink and Aqua McCoy
 
I toyed with the idea of replacing the hardware, but changed my mind.  Sometimes it’s better to keep the original hardware, and this was one of those instances.  I want the hutch and its contents to be the star here.
 
White French Hutch
 
And since I know how much you guys love pictures, here are just a couple more for ya:
 
White and Aqua Dining Hutch
 
Antlers in Dough Bowl
 
My girls are on a trip this week with my sister and brother-in-law so I’m taking advantage of the free time and working on some projects around here, in between a few dates with Mr. home.made.  He deserves it, since I’m putting him to work too… hazards of being a DIYers’ hubby, right? ;)
 
What about you?  What are you working on this week?
 
Linking here:

Inspire Me Please Party

The Inspiration Gallery

Fabulously Creative Friday

Somewhat Simple

Whipperberry

Tatertots and Jello

Funky Junk Interiors

Too Much Time

I Heart Naptime

Three Mango Sides

The Sunday Showcase

Home Stories A to Z

Inspiration Exchange

Power of Paint Party

The Scoop

Tuesday’s Treasures

The 36th Avenue

Transformation Thursday

Be Different Act Normal

It’s Overflowing

Beneath My Heart

12 comments:

  1. It especially looks cute with those aqua chairs peeking out from behind that table. What a match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Love the colors.
    Followed a link from design, dining, and diapers linky party!

    house-of-views.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!
    Love the colors!
    Followed a link from http://designdininganddiapers.com linky party!

    house-of-views.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project! You did a great job! I love the after!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda, this is gorgeous! I love the soft blue against all that white! It makes it stand out! You did an amazing job!

    My readers would love to see this! I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this hutch make over...great colors! That is so true about Craigslist...ahem...and Target too! Lot's of treasures to be found. Love your site...gonna go look around! Came on over from the share on It's Overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful - the perfect color for the background - loving it!
    Congratulations on your feature!!!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love. Can I just do a one word comment ha ha! That's it...love!
    XO,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's really beautiful and the original hardware is perfect. I would have kept it also.
    cheers FIona

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails